Thursday, July 2, 2009

Some things just stick to you

Yesterday there were visitors that came from the Rotary Club. While visitors come to the Academy frequently, I will never forget this one in particular. The normal conversation was held..."How do you feel here in Guwahati? How do you like the food?" Then he asked the big question, "How are you adjusting with the language barrier?" But instead of commenting on how hard it must be for me like everyone else has done, he simply said "Children understand the language of the heart, you have nothing to worry about." I will never forget his words, it was the first time in a long time that I felt like someone actually understood what I came here to do. Prior to coming, I knew that the children spoke little to no English, I knew that they have never had a volunteer come and teach them, and still I chose to come and help. Those were just small obstacles I knew that I would encounter so I mentally prepared myself for a mutual learning experience. And I must say, there are no complaints on this end, my time here has been awesome.
On Monday, the weather took a rainy change. It has rained all day every day since Monday morning, which can be semi depressing. I enjoy letting the hostel children watch dvds on my laptop when the weather is like this. They looove to watch movies. The other night, I sat with Uttam, Lipi, and the hostel students as they had a nightly meeting. It was the cutest thing ever. The main cause for the meeting was to allow the children to name the cows that Uttam's family owns, but that never happened. Instead they all talked about how their studies have improved, how their garden vegetables are growing, they discussed who would share which duties in the coming week..etc.
I guess the anticipation of getting back into the classroom really got to me. Either that, or the drastic change in weather. This morning I woke up with a high fever, a runny nose, and a cough that sounds horrible. Needless to say, I stayed in the bed all day and I didn't get to teach the children or hold the First-Aid workshop today. It is good to know that at times like these, Uttam and his family and even the hostel students are here for me. While I was in the bed today, three of the hostel girls Kalpana, Nomali, and Deepa brought me three hand-stitched hankys that they had made for me, it really meant a lot.
Its late and hopefully I will be feeling better in the morning. Will Post Soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment